Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Now or Never - Vol. 1

THE BEGINNING

Welcome to the beginning of the beginning of my entrepreneurship.

I've created a company, Helen Julia New York, 3 1/2 years ago so I can finally become my own boss to make my own decisions and to clock in and out when I feel like it at my leisure.

The name Helen Julia was inspired by my grandmothers, Helen Hargrove and Julia Annette Calderon. You may visit my website Helen Julia to get the full story behind my creation and inspiration... The birth of Helen Julia New York!

I want you all to be a part of this journey as I embark on the "survival" tactics of self-employment, as this is new territory for me. There's no paycheck waiting for me at the end of the week from my job. There's no planning the next vacation, as I have no idea when my next "income" will be rolling in! This is serious business and the scariest thing I've ever done in my life!

THE DECISION

After feeling as though my creation was just a hobby and not an actual "career" and/or "company" I was beginning to question myself "What am I really doing?" and "How serious do I want this to be?" I was getting ready to hit another milestone of age in my life and was having anxiety attacks about life! Time was running out and I had to make some decisions now! Day after day my life was becoming so repetitive. I'd complain about my commute to work. I'd complain about the boss(es) I had to deal with. I'd complain about the work I had to deal with. I'd complain about the co-workers I had to deal with... etc. etc. etc., blah, blah, blah! I was driving myself crazy! Everyday I'd have the urge to just quit! Why don't I just quit and stop complaining? It seemed to be an easy way out but so scary at the same time. It was time to start taking my hobby more seriously and turn it into something meaningful... My own business! Helen Julia New York was more than just a hobby. This is like my child, a creation from birth! I want to turn this into something bigger than anyone can ever imagine it to be... Even me!

THE FEAR FACTOR

This is where it gets complicated! The fear factor is very powerful! Although, I knew I was destined and determined to make a career out of something I loved I was still ball and chained to what I was used to... Corporate America! For 20 years I've always been accustomed to going to a place where I was told how to be productive for the day while providing my skill and service for a paycheck every week or bi-weekly for a corporation in a big skyscraper building with fancy decor and a cubicle as my workspace. This was known to be my home away from home since I've spent more time here than my actual home. That was life and survival, as I knew it.

Today is a new day and the fear factor shall not overwhelm my being! I woke up one day and decided it's either NOW or NEVER to take my business seriously and to the next level! No more jobs and no more fears! It's time to cut the ball and chain and be free of the fear and free of what's considered "normal". Normal is what you make of it. Life is what you make of it. Not everyone will understand you. Not everyone will support you. And, I'm ok with that!

THANK YOU

To all of my supporters and loved ones... Thank you for believing in me and keeping me inspired and motivated when the going gets tough!

My sister, Shirmene, my biggest supporter and number one fan, I don't know what I would do without you! You're my biggest inspiration!

Linda Ly, you're the greatest! Whatever reason you've come into my life I'm so grateful for it!

Stay tuned for more! This is just the beginning!

Linda and I having our last meal together while she prepares for her journey as she moves back to her hometown Australia.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hi Tomiko! I know being on your own can be scary, but you're going to do great! I just know it:) Love your company's name, btw...